The original Gather allowed small groups/teams to share "folders" called Rooms. These rooms facilitate simple sharing and collaboration in a cross-media way that still isn't being done otherwise on mobile phones.
Principally, Gather (v1) made a series of major advancements to Dropbox shared folders (some of these features have been added to Dropbox since, such as chat). We took a standard Dropbox shared folder and added:
· Chat on top of files
· Ability to add files you couldn’t normally add (events, todos, etc)
· Ability to add files from your mobile phone
· Ability to receive notifications when JUST the files you’ve created/care about change
· Smarter/sexier ways to view your files
· Use Dropbox shared folders for planning in a post-file system universe